Thursday, September 19, 2013

Lace, Skulls, and it's not Hallowe'en, it's momento mori.

 Hairclips- Micheal's
Cameo- I bought it at a Pagan Pride, but the lace and pedant are sold in most craft stores.
Vest-Royal Bones
Shirt- WalMart's Hallowe'en section
Skirt- Hommert
Bloomers- Lolikats
Tights- I'm not sure, but similar ones can be bought at Guess
Boots- Mossimo

I am wearing two items that were being sold for Hallowe'en.
The hair clips have stripes and skulls on them, which clearly means that they are only suitable for Hallowe'en. When is weird, because I can't really imagine anyone buying these hairclips or this shirt and then only wearing it once a year. For one thing, you would want to actually wear a costume on Hallowe'en. Maybe people intend to wear them in the month leading up to Hallowe'en.
The shirt has Day of the Dead style skeletons and lace on them, which although it directly follows Hallowe'en is a totally unrelated holiday. I mean, you can celebrate and enjoy both, but that requires that you acknowledge that they are in fact two different holidays.
It's a bit like saying that Sainta Lucia day is an extension of Christmas. They're celebrated in the same season and I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong about enjoying two slightly different flavours of festivity one after the other.
(Although the Swedish don't generally have to worry as much about their culture being poorly represented)
I suppose that's it, though. The problem is that they're being treated as the same holiday, when they're not.

Perhaps it's just my own ignorance of the subject that makes me think the shirt's intended to be a Day of the Dead thing. It could just be skeletons in fancy clothes. I like to think that. I like skeletons in fancy clothes. Insert joke about the fashion industry liking skeletons in fancy clothes, too.

The vest also has a bones motif, in that there are crossed bones on the buttons. That's just the brand logo, and I'm fairly sure all that it's intended to represent is bones. I like it, it's sort of a modern interpretation of Momento Mori. Not to be confused with Mori Girl fashion. Oh, sweet lady in the earth. That's a brilliant idea for an outfit. I'll have to try that sometime.

I don't get it, maybe because I always dress a little flamboyantly, but this is not a costume, it's just an outfit with a lace and skulls theme. That can be worn anywhere, it's not a Hallowe'en thing, it's a style and not growing out of being a bit gothy thing.

I'm rambling. I guess the only point I have is that I like skulls, I like lace, try not to piss anyone off.

(Also, let's talk about the fact that this skirt does not techinically exist but I got bloomers under it so I guess it's okay.)

No comments:

Post a Comment